Search This Blog

Monday 4 August 2014

Jessie's Sushi Birthday at Stanton House

Two Sundays ago I headed up to Swindon to see my very best friend and partner in crime, Jessie. A trip to hotel Stanton House had been planned for dinner and I was very much looking forward to gorging on Japanese food. Stanton House is a hotel in a country house with two restaurants.  Their Mt Fuji restaurant serves up yakiniku, Japanese barbecue, and has low level tables to kneel at for an immersive experience. Their other restaurant The Rosemary, serves up a modern British menu as well as a Japanese one.  On this occasion we were dining in The Rosemary.

The Japanese menu is pretty traditional looking with agadashi tofu, octopus and scallops on the sashimi part of the menu so I was looking forward to getting stuck in.  After ordering my cup of green tea, I decided to choose some salmon sashimi and temaki plus tonkatsu, which came with rice and miso.  The service thus far was a bit slow and the waitresses returned a number of times to reconfirm orders, however on the plus side we didn't have to wait too long for food, which was a bonus.

Stanton House

Stanton House Sushi
salmon sashimi
Stanton House Sushi
pork tonkatsu 
Stanton House Sushi
salmon temaki
The food was pretty good not the best Japanese I've ever had but definitely a solid effort, the sashimi was particularly good, thickly cut slices of ultra fresh fish that were very delicious.  The tonkatsu was nice and crunchy although the salad popped next to it looked a little sad.  I'd be interested in trying the traditional Japanese barbecue restaurant if I was to visit again but as Bristol has a good selection of Japanese restaurants I don't need to rush back to Stanton House. However it did give me the opportunity to play with my food a little.
Stanton House Sushi
shark attack
If Stanton House piques your interest check out their website for more details on Thursdays they do an all you can eat buffet which sounds particularly excellent. Upcoming blogs will be a mini visit to the Swan Inn in Rowberrow and a trip to newly opened Argentinian steak house CAU, expect much meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment