Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 March 2015

Friday Night Feasting at Viva La Mexicana

Last weekend was a weekend of eating. It started on Friday evening with a trip to Viva La Mexicana on East Street in Bedminster. Jamie and Boz had kindly bought me a Groupon deal for my birthday so we both had one and could visit together. It was a freezing evening but we managed to find a parking space outside the Wetherspoons round the corner. Bristol doesn't really have much in the way of Mexican restaurants which is a shame as they are definitely one of my favourite cuisines so I was looking forward to trying Viva as I had heard many good things. 
viva la mexicana Bristol

Viva La Mexicana stresses very strongly at the front of their menu that they are Mex-Mex not Tex-Mex so don't visit expecting burritos, chimichangas, fajitas or even sour cream these are not true Mexican dishes. There are plenty of tantalising menu choices to be had, the names may be unfamiliar but the ingredients won't be. Our deal was a cocktail, corn chips and dips and something from the street food menu. We added a bowl of guacamole and some more corn chips to our order and waited for them to arrive. For my main I chose the flautas, fried corn tacos filled with pulled chicken with lettuce, green salsa, cheese and cream accompanied by rice and refried beans. Rich went for the panuchos, two corn tortillas topped with refried beans, chicken, salad, cheese and guacamole.

viva la mexicana Bristol
viva la mexicana Bristol
mixed dips, cheese and olives
viva la mexicana Bristol
big bowl of guacamole
My oh my, forget what you know about chips and dips. These little unassuming pots were packed full of flavour, one was smoky roasted pepper and the other a zingy jalepeno dip. The guacamole was the best I have ever had, I would have eaten bowls and bowls of it, plus you definitely know the difference when you have freshly made corn chips.
Flautas
flautas
Three crispy tacos with refried beans and rice accompaniments were brought to me, stuffed with juicy chicken. Delicious. The crispy crunch of the fried corn tortillas contrasted nicely with the soft toppings. Plus the refried beans were just heavenly, melt in the mouth and seasoned perfectly. We just about had room to order some bunuelos to share, light wheat pastries smothered in honey.
bunuelos
bunuelos
If you have thought about going to Viva la Mexicana please do you won't regret it. These guys know what they are talking about when it comes to Mexican food. The service is welcoming and homely and the flavours are wonderful. They do a great set lunch deal on Saturdays, two courses for £7.50. I personally cannot wait for my next visit. To find out more about Viva la Mexicana visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment