Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 May 2013

Chicken Katsu Curry Recipe

Chicken katsu curry is one of Rich's favourite meals and I thought the other week, can this be that hard to make? Turns out after some investigating and experimentation with a couple of recipes it isn't technically hard at all, it is just a little time consuming for a week day. Having said that it is definitely worth giving it a shot as the result is pretty close to what we have tasted in various Japanese restaurants that we have visited. 
my first katsu curry
I had some chicken thigh fillets to use up so I cut them in to long strips and then dipped them first seasoned flour, then egg and finally panko breadcrumbs. This was the time consuming part for me, I basically had a lot of strips to triple dip and for some reason it seemed to take for ever. After that part was out the way I got myself started on making up the curry sauce. 

This is what you will need:
1 Tblsp of oil
1 inch of grated fresh ginger
5 whole garlic cloves, crushed or chopped finely
2  Tblsps of plain flour
1  Tblsp medium curry powder
600mls chicken stock
2 teaspoons of honey
1  Tblsp soy sauce
1 teaspoon of garam masala

To make the sauce fry the garlic and ginger up in the oil for a few minutes until they have softened a little then add the flour and curry powder and stir constantly so it doesn't burn. Just like when you make a roux sauce add the stock gradually so to avoid lumps. Then add the honey and the soy sauce and bring to the boil then reduce the heat for 20 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. Finally add the garam masala and put the sauce to one side whilst you fry up your chicken.

Heat up a couple of tablespoons of oil in a frying pan and fry the chicken for about 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Basically I could have made my life a whole lot easier if I had either used chicken breasts or coated the thigh fillets as wholes because I was frying for a long time to get through all those strips, some of which caught a little in frying. Still I have learned something for next time and you can all learn from my mistake! I served this with steamed rice and poured the sauce over the chicken. The end result was worth the effort, this definitely tasted like chicken katsu curry, I was particularly impressed by how accurate the sauce tasted, I will be making this again.
Chicken Katsu Curry recipe Bristol
Chicken Katsu, the end result

No comments:

Post a Comment