Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2015

Sunday Roasting at the Victoria Park

Last month Mr Popple messaged me asking if I fancied helping him eat a free roast and dessert at the Victoria Park pub in Bedminster. Not one to turn down free food I accepted very readily, whilst also inviting Rich and our friend Michael. It was my first time at the Victoria Park and it's a charming pub, lots of light coming through the windows and a pretty good drinks selection. Our table was booked for 12 so when we got to the pub it was fairly empty and we were shown to our spot, how we all laughed at the reserved sign for Jim Popple (sorry Tim).  With a choice of a hearty nut roast, beef, pork and chicken or a mix of all three meats we quickly decided, three mixed and one pork for me. What is quite a nice touch is that for £1 they will let you add a Yorkshire pudding to any of the roasts that wouldn't normally have them included.

Victoria Park Pub Bristol

Victoria Park Pub Bristol

Victoria Park Pub Bristol

First things first, you get a big plate for your £10, or £12.95 for all three meats. Let's start with the good things. The veg was varied and plentiful and not in any way soggy, a bonus if you ask me, The Yorkshire was huge and both fluffy and crispy perfect for mopping up gravy. The roast potatoes were decent, nice crispy edges and soft centres. The crackling was some of the best I've had for a while nice and crunchy with lots of salt.

My main gripe was the pork was quite dry and flavourless and I personally found the mini onions dotted around the plate unnecessary. I tried a bit of the beef that Rich had and it was really tasty, definitely made me wish I'd gone for beef. Beef can be cut so thinly and cooked too well for my liking so I usually pick a safer option like pork or chicken when I am out. But this time the beef was definitely much better than the pork and much more thickly cut than I expected.  A solid roast for the money just aim for the beef in my opinion. We ordered our desserts, a good mix of the usual suspects, brownie, sticky toffee pudding, cheesecake and earl grey creme brulee.
Victoria Park Pub Bristol

Victoria Park Pub Bristol

Victoria Park Pub Bristol

Tasty desserts, Rich particularly enjoyed the banana ice cream that crowned his brownie, a touch different to the standard vanilla. I was pretty full and glad of the journey back to temple meads to walk off some of the food. I enjoyed visiting the Victoria Park pub it was relaxed and the food was pretty tasty. I am curious about the weekday menu so that might be one to check out in the future. To find out more about the Victoria Park pub visit their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment