Search This Blog

Thursday 14 June 2012

Mini Blog on Thai Green Curry

So last night I made chicken Thai green curry. First and foremost do not get your curry pastes from a supermarket, I have previously made this rookie mistake myself. The supermarket pastes are just not strong or hot enough for the corresponding curry, I found them pretty synthetic to be honest. Luckily my closest Chinese supermarket is on Denmark Street, Wah Yan Hong. It is next to Wongs and on my route home so perfect for impromptu dinner plans. Chinese supermarkets really excite me I love finding new things to try it is like the Aladdin's cave of food shopping. Having visited a few times with Jamie she has pointed out all the best brands and deals for your money and for that I am very thankful to have such knowledge at my fingertips.

For roughly 0.65p of your Earth money you can buy sachets of many different curry and soup pastes. I have tried making red, yellow and now green Thai curry so far, and their are a couple of others next on the list.
Authentic Thai Green Curry Paste Bristol
Thai Green Curry Paste I use
There are very easy instructions on the back which you can follow directly or go a bit off piste as I did.
Authentic Thai Green Curry Paste Bristol
Recipe on the Back
I used about two thirds of the paste as I know how hot green curry can be so wanted to test the water before adding more. This turned out to be pretty much perfect for us as it was pretty spicy but not burningly hot. I also used chicken thighs, I always use thighs in dishes like this because the flavour is much better than chicken breast and it doesn't dry out at all with cooking. Once I had added the chicken to the coconut milk and paste I also popped in some chopped potato. The recipe does suggest adding aubergine but seeing as I am not it's biggest fan I decided against it.
Chicken Thai Green Curry Bristol

I did however add some green beans right at the end along with the kaffir lime leaves, a few drops of fish sauce and a dash of lime. I left the extra chillis this time.
Chicken Thai Green Curry Bristol
Completed Chicken Thai Green Curry
Chicken Thai Green Curry Bristol
Chicken Thai Green Curry
Chicken Thai Green Curry Bristol
Thai Green Curry
So there you have it super satisfying curry to warm you on a cold evening, yes I am aware that it is June and it should not be cold now.

3 comments:

  1. That range of pastes are really good - I always have their Tom Yum paste in my cupboard (also from the Denmark St supermarket) - ridiculously hot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made Tom Kha soup from scratch before less hot but noticed they did the soup paste as well in there which would save the trouble! Such a good range you're right mmm love Thai food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With an ever increasing focus on renewable energy resources coupled with relatively recent advancements made in green energy technology, it is easier than ever to start living the green home dream. A green energy home allows the owner to use renewable resources that provide electricity to meet most if not all the power needs of a family. אנרגיה סולארית חברות

    ReplyDelete